Fair Board of Directors
- President — Scott Woolfolk
- Vice President — Brian Kemp
- Secretary/Treasurer — Chris Coughlin
- Kevin Allen
- Fred Cunningham
- Billy Donnell
- Don Friddle
- Pete Johnson
- Jody Watson
- Michelle Mehr
- Chris Rawdon
- Chuck Thompson
In 1855 the first fair in West Tennessee an agricultural and mechanical fair was organized in Jackson to educate farmers on new farming concepts.
Within two years, barns, a grandstand, racetrack, amusement area, and cooking tents were added. Then as new exhibits of vegetables, crops canning baking, embroidery, quilts, and clothing were entered and displayed so fairgoers could enjoy and learn to recognize quality products. Baby shows, beauty pageants, photography, cut flowers, houseplants, hobbies and crafts have added more contemporary activities along with the traditional entries. The mules, horses, and harness races have given way to beef, dairy, goats, sheep, and pet shows.
The fairgrounds was originally located on Fairground Street then relocated to Magnolia Street. The fair’s management and name has changed several times over the years. This fair has experienced great successes, along with many difficulties and overcome a devastating fire, which destroyed the entire fairgrounds in 1929.
Over the 150 years, many organizations have been involved. Some of them include community clubs, home demonstration clubs, and youth organizations (4-H, FFA, scouts). Ruritan, Lions Club, and church groups have all funded their charitable projects with proceeds from fair activities.
In 1988 all buildings were destroyed making way for a beautiful new large building with two adjoining open-air pavilions, a grandstand and lakes.
Beginning as a medium to educate rural farmers on how to produce quality products, this fair has become more than an agricultural competition because it involves every segment of the region and provides wholesome family entertainment.
References: Historic Madison, Emma Williams, and dn English